Dali

Dali
Life is but a dream...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day!




Most people see Veteran's Day simply as a day off from work. Being a veteran myself, it has so much more meaning to me.





I know from first hand experience the sacrifices the men and women in the service have to make. I know exactly how deeply it affects the family. I had two godchildren born while I was active duty, and could only be there for my best friend over the phone while she was in labor. I came home to visit one time, and one of my other friends showed me a beautiful sleeping 5 month old boy. When I asked her who's baby it was, she said it was hers! That was a shock.





When I left for the Navy, my little brother was 2-years-old, and he was my freakin shadow. They would show him my picture every day, and ask him who I was. Still, when I finally got to go home to visit, he didn't know me, and it broke my heart. My sister had to give up her big sister for 4 years, and along with that, she lost some heart to hearts that could have saved her a lot of heartache.





My story is just one of millions. I have plenty of friends from high school who went, and still are in some cases, active duty. I still work with the military and have a deep bond with lots of people. I am blessed to be able to say none of my friends has been killed in the line of duty. Each and every one of them are able to go home to their families whole. But not everyone is as lucky as me and my friends. So many families get service member back less than they were when they left. Too many get theirs back in body bags.





So today, take a moment to think of all the men and women and their families who willingly sacrifice so much so you can continue to enjoy the basic freedoms you take for granted. God bless our veterans. Thank you for your sacrifices. I salute you and your family.



No comments: